Monday, June 16, 2014

Dandelions








A week ago last Saturday I spent the morning sitting in the grass picking dandelions and watching bees.  It was about as perfect as a morning can be.  In this busy life I've found it to be incredibly healing to take the time to watch and wonder.  To watch the bee probing for nectar, to notice how some have black abdomens and others are more golden, to see their feet collect pollen, and marvel at how quickly they beat their wings.   To let time melt away, and to allow myself to just observe and study, to embrace the curiosity rather than rush on to more "important" things.  So, I watched bees.  For maybe an hour?  I don't even know.  But it was wonderful.  I know that.

So, dandelions.  Our yard is full of them.  I harvested barely a fraction, and filled a huge pickle jar for sun dying and also had enough to make two loafs of dandelion bread (which was really good!).  And my mother was digging up the roots for roasted dandelion root tea while I was picking heads.  I also am experimenting with using blueberries for sun dying.  We'll see how it goes.

More there will be more foraging posts coming soon!

Love, Clara

No comments: