Tuesday, February 4, 2014

a purple elephant parade

Back in the fall of 2007 I came across my first knitting magazine and you could say it changed my life.  Except I believe something are just inevitable, and somehow fiber would have ended up back in my hands.  But maybe it would have been in the form of Red Heart Supersaver and a plastic crochet hook, and I would never have found out so much later how magical wool truly is, and it's not just for making mittens from felted thrift store sweaters or people who can afford (or take the time) to get things dry cleaned.  And I would never have been sucked in by Celtic cables and mittens with pockets and a delightful sweater that had tiny cats all over it.
Before all this my knitting was limited to free patterns on line, fun fur yarn, and my great aunt's old aluminum needles.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, it was a good place to start, but oh am I glad that the road keeps going on to softer and prettier and more natural things!  That first knitting magazine was Interweave Knits Winter 2007 and I have now knitted that delightful cat sweater.  Substituting cats for elephants.  Because, well, can it get much better than an elephant sweater?  Not for me, it can't!
Aren't they just adorable?  I love this sweater.  I finished it back in September or October, and have worn it almost every week since (I was even wearing it yesterday when I uploaded these pictures).  It's so cozy and it fits brilliantly.  The traditional phrase for this is "like a glove" but in my case that would be incorrect, because the gloves I wear fit horribly and this sweater fits better than if I knit it on myself.  (now that's a funny image, lol)
The pattern is The Colette Pullover, and I followed it exactly, aside from the elephant motif, which I borrowed from here.  As a whole it is by far the most complicated thing I have ever made.  I'd say it even beats out the formal dress I designed and sewed and have yet to share here.  My reasons for saying so are these; it was my second fair isle project ever!  That alone, makes it pretty ambitious.  And it involved a steek (which if you don't know, means cutting the knitting so you can add  (in my case at least) a button placket) which was probably the scariest moment of my entire knitting life.  But I did it! I am all about conquering fears! And also the shaping was much more involved than I realized and had be quite stumped on multiple occasions.  But all in all, and through much determination, I did it.  And I think it will long be one of my favorite things I've ever made.  

In case you're curious there's a bit more on ravelry, here, if you want to see.  I hope to be back soon, there's another sweater along with other little bits of life to share.  I hope you are all having a lovely week!

Love, Clara

No comments: