Wednesday, February 12, 2014

this one's for the bears


To carry on with our unintentional little "knitted animals on my sweater" theme (it's only twice, but for the sake of fun, let's overlook that), I have the next installment.  A bear sweater.  The very best of bear sweaters.  Because it's like a giant wool sweatshirt with thumb holes and a big hood that feels like a great bear hug the whole time you're wearing it.  It makes me wonder why I ever took it off...  just a second, I'll be right back.
Okay that's better.  It just makes sense to wear what you're blogging about while you're blogging it right?  And see what I mean about the thumb holes?  Perfect.  Plus, they help your hands look and feel more like paws.  Which is always a good thing.  
 I didn't realize until flipping through the pictures how much this guy's eyes pop out at you.  I didn't use any of the yarn the pattern called for, as I was trying to make it on a budget.  So if you feel like doing the same... I used Lion Brand's fisherman's wool held double, which I got with coupons from Joann's and then for the bear's face, I used bulky yarn from Knit Picks.

I chose to do duplicate stitch for the bear's face.  My first attempt at intarsia was enough to make me run from ever trying to try again, at least on a large gauge.  It was so awful, far worse than anything I've ever knitted, even my learning projects back when I was nine.  So duplicate stitch it was.  Thank heavens we have that option.  
 It's also the perfect sweater for bear impersonations.
 If you couldn't tell, I'm really trying to sell you all on this pattern.  Even if you don't knit (yet) consider it.  Please.  It was a super easy pattern, really fast too, because the yarn is so chunky and the needles so large.  And it's COZY.  And WARM.  And adorable.  You could even leave off the bear if you wanted (ya' crazy) and you'd have a wonderful cozy sweater that you knit yourself.  So, at least consider it.  Please?  The pattern is Oh My Bear by Tiny Owl Knits.
And in honor of bears and bear-lovers all over the world...
Yeah, I know it's not much, but it is a real bear.  The only bear I've ever actually seen in real life.  If you can't tell, it's that brown lump near the center of the picture.  I personally, was rather bummed that it was so far away.  I think everyone else in the bus was relieved though.  Except most of them had cameras like this
But hey, I was just happy to have finally seen a bear. :)

Love, Clara

No comments: